Vietnam Bank News

Vietnam Bank Directory

Trade ETHUSD, Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies

BUY & SELL ETHUSD | View ETHUSD News & Updates


Buy Sell ETHUSD, Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies

Banking News & Financial Services News
Get the latest banking news headlines from Vietnammarkets.com. Find in-depth Vietnam coverage from banking, investing, financial, stock market, and more abou Vietnam banking system, bank for industry and trade, Vietnam banking sector.

Bank shares desired by foreign, refused by domestic investors   2008-08-18 - VNN

While foreign investors are hunting for bank shares to purchase, domestic investors are trying to withdraw money from bank projects.

 

 
Despite the current difficulties, foreign investors still believe in the long-term development potentials of Vietnam’s joint-stock banks. They continue injecting more money in local banks to become strategic partners of the banks.

 

Malaysia’s Maybank has got approval from the central bank to purchase An Binh Bank shares at a price 4-5 times higher than the price prevailing on the OTC market. France’s Societe Generale S.A on July 20, 2008 got approval from the State Bank of Vietnam to hold 15% of chartered capital of Sea Bank.

 

On May 30, 2008, Eximbank officially completed procedures to choose Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC), one of the world’s leading banking groups, as its strategic partner.

 

The sale of stakes to the partner brought $225mil to Eximbank with the share price 6.42 times higher than face value, or 10% lower than the market price at the issuance time.

 

Phuong Nam Bank has got approval from the central bank to sell 5% more of chartered capital to Singapore’s UOB, which will raise the total ownership ratio of the foreign group from 10% to 15%. The domestic bank now has the chartered capital of VND1,434bil and total assets of VND18tril.

 

Most recently, Techcombank sold more stakes to HSBC, after which HSBC’s ownership ratio in Techcombank increased to 20%.

 

Singapore’s OCBC Group and VP Bank are fulfilling necessary procedures to raise the Singaporean partner’s ownership ratio to 15%.

 

Meanwhile, domestic economic groups have been withdrawing from bank projects. PetroVietnam, one of the six founding shareholders of Hong Viet Bank, has announced its decision to withdraw from the project.

 

Prior to that, two state-owned general corporations, VInashin, a shipbuilder, and Vinatex, a textile and garment group, decided to withdraw from the project on setting up the Vietnam Industries Joint-stock Bank. The Vietnam Steel Corporation and Vietnam Paper Corporation remain the two founding shareholders of the bank.

 

2008 shareholders’ meetings’ resolutions all mention plans to raise chartered capital this year. The plans have been implemented by methods other than by issuing more shares as shares are unsalable in the context of the market’s falls. Moreover, the State Bank of Vietnam and State Securities Commission are trying to tighten share issuance as share dilution could hinder the market’s recovery. The unsalability of shares on the domestic market has also been one of the reasons that local banks have pushed up negotiations to sell stakes to foreign partners.


Other Banking News

Listed companies report losses – an expected thing   2008-08-18

Decision to halt licencing banks: better late than never   2008-08-15

Interest rates and exchange rates decreasing together   2008-08-13

Interest rates and exchange rates decreasing together   2008-08-13

Decision to halt licencing banks applauded   2008-08-12

Banks still attempting to collect ATM fees   2008-08-06

VPBank to sell more stakes to Singaporean partner   2008-08-06

Joint stock banks narrow rate gaps   2008-08-06

OCBC approved to buy 5% more stake of VPBank   2008-08-06

Setting up banks: investors now like cats on hot bricks   2008-08-05

Experts call for loosening of real estate credit   2008-08-01

Banks slashing deposit interest rates   2008-07-30

ACB expands banking network   2008-07-30

Banks slash interest rates but low-fee capital still inaccessible   2008-07-23